Frequently Asked Questions:

1. What is the Blue Book? 

The homeowners’ association, The Springwells Park Association, Inc., publishes a booklet that residents of the subdivision have found useful.  Among other things, it provides historical background on the development of the subdivision and the Association itself.  It also includes information on the Association’s by-laws, the use and maintenance of the parkways/commons, deed restrictions, and social events.  The booklet’s subdivision street directory and map of the parkways/commons are handy reference information.  Publication of the Blue Book is funded, in part, by Association membership dues, and by local businesses who advertise in the booklet. Contact your Area Representative about Blue Book availability.

2. May I plant trees, shrubs, or flowers in the commons?

In a neighborhood with so many gifted gardeners and landscapers, there is no doubt that many of you ponder ways to enhance the commons with trees, shrubs, and flowers.  In addition, given the number of trees that we lose to storms and disease each year, it would be great to have two new trees planted each time an old tree is removed.  The association will be looking for ways to enable such replacement, but would also like to encourage homeowners to donate trees to be planted in the commons areas.  The Blue Book addresses landscaping clearly, stating that it is encouraged as long as it does not restrict access to the commons for other residents. If you have a desire to landscape the commons areas or would like to donate a tree, please contact the Association so we can work together.

3. Why do I need to get stamped approval from the restrictions committee for an exterior renovation that doesn’t need a city permit?

Many people buy houses in Springwells Park because of the consistency of the architecture and design, as well as the historic nature, of the neighborhood.  It is the Association’s obligation to enforce the deed restrictions in order to maintain this uniqueness. Therefore, any renovation or addition to the exterior of a house or property needs to be approved by the Restrictions Committee to ensure it meets the deed restrictions as set forth by the Ford Foundation and Springwells Park Association, Inc.

4. I am not a dues paying member, can I still come to the meetings and vote on issues before the board?

 One of the benefits of Association membership is that dues-paying-members are allowed to vote–one vote per residence–on issues before the Board.  Members become eligible to vote upon payment of dues.  If you have not paid your dues yet this year and would like to, please complete the reminder dues form in this newsletter and drop off your payment to the Association Treasurer.

5. What is an ‘S’ sticker?  Are ‘S’ stickers still being distributed by the Association?

At one time the Association gave residents a sticker for their car with an ‘S’ on it.  This enabled law enforcement to know which vehicles belonged to neighborhood residents, especially during the Senior Players tournament.  The previous board began to phase this program out when it learned that law enforcement no longer looked for the ‘S’ stickers on vehicles, and when compliance with police orders during the golf tournament was shown.  Since residents no longer need ‘S’ stickers on their vehicles, the current Board will completely phase out this program.

6. What is the Association doing about dog waste?

 The dedication we all show to this neighborhood is clear—from beautifully maintained homes to clean sidewalks.  Luckily, the vast majority of dog owners do pick up animal waste.  However, this issue still continuously comes to the attention of the Association. 

According to the Dearborn Animal Shelter, it is the State ofMichigan that mandates that dogs be leashed when on public or others’ property.  It is also a state law that mandates owners pick up dog waste.  If you find that a dog owner repeatedly fails to pick up animal waste, your best course of action is to identify where the homeowner (or renter) lives and then report the issue to animal control at 943-2079.  Unlike the Association, the Dearborn Animal Shelter has the power and authority to dispatch an animal control representative to talk with the pet owner.

7. Are there city ordinances regarding cats?

According to the Dearborn Animal Shelter there are no city ordinances pertaining to cats.  However, any pet is considered stray once it leaves its homeowner’s property.

8. Are motorized scooters or mopeds legal?

According to the Dearborn Police and the Secretary of State, motorized scooters or mopeds must be operated by a driver with a valid driver’s license or moped license.  If you do not have a valid operator license and are at least age 15, you may apply for a moped license at a Secretary of State branch office.  In addition, moped operators must follow the same traffic rules as other motor vehicle operators (e.g., stopping at stop signs, using public roadways instead of sidewalks, etc.)  For more information go to www.michigan.gov/sos or contact you local Secretary of State branch at 5094 Schaefer, Dearborn , MI , 48126 or phone 248-476-4538.

9. What is going on with Bennington Park ?

In July we talked with Chief Strutz regarding our concerns with late night parties taking place at Bennington Park .  Due to the secluded nature of the park, we requested that the inside of the park be patrolled on foot.  A commander was assigned to oversee the process.  Officers did patrol the park at random times during the evening and night.  The commander gave us a specific number to call when suspicious activity is observed or people enter the park after the closing time of 10pm .  This number is 943–3030.  The police tip line can also be reached at 943–2240.

 The Association also asked The Department of Recreation to remove some obsolete equipment from the park.  By obsolete equipment, we are referring mainly to several areas of pavement that no longer support activities such as tether ball.  We felt that these areas detracted from the park and gave any late-night violators a place to break bottles.  According to Greg Orner, Director of Recreation, a work order is in place to remove the obsolete pavement.

Finally, according to Greg Orner, a work order is also in place to remove one of the two basketball poles.  Mr. Orner told us that a commission at the city decided they would no longer support full-court basketball in the park, since full-court basketball can lead to bad language, large groups, noisy activity, etc.  However, the commission did decide that one hoop would remain.  The members of the commission felt strongly that one hoop would provide youngsters in the neighborhood with a place to shoot hoops and play, without drawing large, rowdy groups into the park.